These are a real treat and fairly simple to make. We needed to clean out our freezer and had some bags of zucchini from last fall. Sarah measured these bags in 2 cup amounts. The recipe comes from the blog called Cooking with My Kid. I used our flour mix and substituted shortening for butter. I read that for every 1 cup of butter, remove 1/4 cup of shortening. After some cross multiplication (thanks math class!), I concluded I needed 1/2 cup of shortening instead of 2/3 cups butter.
Sarah whipped up this bread using buckwheat flour. Whoowee, it tastes great! The recipe is from Chequamegon Food Cooperative Cookbook, 2006. It has been altered to be gluten free. It makes 2 loaves.
1 cup oil
2 cups shredded zucchini
3 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups buckwheat (or all purpose mix)
2 cups sugar (or 1 1/2)
1 t xanthan gum
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon mixed with 1/2 t nutmeg
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 cup raisins (optional, but highly recommended)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease two loaf pans.
2. Blend the oil, zucchini, eggs, and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
3. Mix together the dry ingredients in another mixing bowl, then add to the zucchini mixture (add nuts and/or raisins if desired).
4. Pour into loaf pans. Bake for one hour or until a knife or toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.
5. Let cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan.
Recipe was submitted to the cookbook by Christel Sketch.
Sarah made this delicious dish. Real cream cheese might spread out, but this was tasty nonetheless!
1 1/2 cups brown rice
3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth (or any stock on hand)
4 cups diced zucchini or summer squash
2 bell peppers, chopped
1 large onion, diced
2 tsp olive oil
8 oz. meat (we used ground venison)
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk (rice is nice)
3 T all purpose flour
2 cups shredded cheese (Daiya cheese is awesome! It actually melts)
1 cup corn kernels
4 oz. dairy free cream cheese (Vegan Gourmet, Tofutti)
1/4 cup chopped jalapeno peppers
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pour rice into 9×13″ dish. Bring broth to simmer in small saucepan. Stir hot broth, zucchini, bell peppers, onion and salt into rice. Cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed (35-45 minutes more).
- Whisk milk and flour in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until bubbly and thickened, 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add 1 1/2 cups cheese and corn and cook, stirring until cheese is melted. Set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat and add meat. Cook, until browned. When rice is done, stir in meat and cheese sauce. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cups cheese on top and dollop cream cheese by the teaspoon over casserole. Top with jalapenos. Bake 10 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!